Preteen Summer Mission Project for Rising 4th-7th Grade
June 26-30, 8:30am – 4:30pm
Director: Kim Snyder
Cost: $150, includes mission project supplies, team building day at Camp Highroad, transportation, SMP t-shirt, a daily snack and other supplies; participants bring their own lunch
If your preteen is ready to learn about living the mission of Christ, and wants to strengthen their sense of community and belonging at VPC, we hope you’ll apply for them to be a part of this awesome opportunity!
This introductory SMP is where Christ, service, community and fun collide. During the week we will:
- Serve at four local missions’ organizations that VPC supports; examples include, organizing donations for CHO and Homestretch, assembling meals for Generosity Feeds, and visiting with homeless patrons at The Lamb Center
- Spend Tuesday participating in teambuilding activities at Camp Highroad
- Connect with our Lord during daily small group bible study
- Strengthen community through plenty of fun and games at VPC
For more information, contact our Children’s Ministry Senior Manager at Kim.Snyder@viennapres.org or 703-938-9050 x130
Why is your summer preteen program different than past years?
The Holy Spirit has led us to develop an experience that more fully meets our goals for our preteen summer experience:
- Help preteens’ grow their relationship with Christ
- Deepen preteens’ sense of community and belonging at VPC
- Help preteens understand how to be the Body of Christ
We are also excited to tie our purpose to the church-wide vision of Summer Mission Projects.
We are continuously discerning how our ministry should support you in raising lifelong disciples of Christ, and invite you to talk with us about the changes God is calling us to.
How does the change affect parents?
- We will be using an application instead of a registration. Our application will help us support you in assessing your child’s readiness for this experience.
- Once you apply, you will hear back within a week on whether or not your application is approved.
- Upon approval of your application, we will send you a payment link.
- Your child’s space is reserved once the application is approved and payment is received.
- Parents should discuss the purpose of this SMP with their child, and involve them in filling out the application. This experience is right for them if they are interested in growing their relationships with God and other VPC preteens during and after the SMP.
- If your child is a new believer, or new to our community, they are welcome to apply. The readiness indicator is desiring growth and commitment in these relationships.
What do you offer preteens who are not participating with the SMP?
Connect Sunday School is a great place for preteens to grow in their relationship with God and the VPC community. Sunday School runs during the school year during the 9:30 worship hour.
Club is a great place for preteens to have a ton of fun while being introduced to Christ or introducing friends to Christ. Club happens once a month on a Friday night from 7-9 pm.
Volunteering at Vacation Bible School offers another opportunity for VPC preteens to have fun and make a difference through serving. VBS is July 10-14, 2017.
Camp Ligonier has a strong relationship with VPC and we highly recommend it’s overnight Christian summer camp experience. Contact Kim Snyder if you would like to be connected to potential VPC carpools and cabin buddies.
Vacation Bible School for 4 Years Old – Rising 3rd Grade
July 10-14, 9:00am – 12:15pm
Director: Karen Covell
Cost: $65, with a reduced price of $45 for children of volunteers
Register to join our volunteer team of rising 4th graders – adults. Volunteer requirements include six months of active involvement at VPC, and adults must complete our volunteer vetting process.
Participant spots are available for children of volunteers. Parents who can help all week should contact Karen Covell for a registration link.
Imagine a world where curious kids become hands-on inventors who discover they are lovingly crafted by God. At VBS Maker Fun Factory, your child will buzz with excitement as they learn that God made them for a purpose! Activities include: Bible Discovery drama, Imagination Station crafts, Sound Wave Sing & Play, Snack Factory, and Game Makers recreation.
Save the date for volunteering! Our team includes rising 4th grade-adult helpers. For children of volunteers, we offer childcare for babies and toddlers and host a preschool program for 3 year olds.
For more information, contact our Children’s Ministry Manager at Karen.Covell@viennapres.org or 703-938-9050 x125
A Christian Summer Camp we Highly Recommend
Did you know that Camp Ligonier is a mission partner of VPC? We not only financially support their mission, but many of our families are involved with their summer program. Kids and teens are talking – Ligonier has been an amazing catalyst for faith! Located in beautiful Ligonier, PA, this Presbyterian summer camp transforms kids’ hearts for Christ through four core principles: Christ, Community, Challenge and Creation.
Learn more here.
If you’d like to receive communications about potential VPC family carpools, cabin buddies, and other connections, contact Kim Snyder at Kim.Snyder@viennapres.org