What we believe about Marriage:
Marriage is a gift from God in which a man and a woman come together as husband and wife to enjoy a new identity, a new unity with one another in a relationship characterized by unconditional love, faithfulness, and permanence. This marriage relationship is meant to be a reflection of God himself whose very triune nature is expressed as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. But marriage is not merely a relationship; a couple is called together to fulfill their God has given mission.
There are no perfect marriages. There are only marriages in which two imperfect people refuse to give up on each other. A willingness to grow and change together will cultivate a deeper marriage relationship.Understanding this, the best thing that a couple can give each other is a transforming relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
Sizzling Marriage Chili Cook-Off –
Join married couples of all ages and stages in the fun and fellowship at this potluck event on Friday, January 19, from 7:00 – 9:00pm. Participate in the chili cook-off contest or bring your favorite side dish or dessert to share. The VPS Marriage Ministry will provide chili toppings, and drinks. $10 per couple. Register here. Childcare is available upon request at the time of registration. Registration deadline is January 17.
Weekend to Remember Marriage Conference
Weekend getaway where you and your spouse can focus on each other and your marriage. www.familylife.com (Use “VPC” group code at any conference location for discount. Scholarships available. Contact Julie Knight for more information at email@example.com
Winter 2017/2018 Dates:
Couples Small Groups
A great way to have fun and support and encourage your marriage. For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Blended and Blessed”
If you are a blended family, this summit may be for you: October 25-26 Summit on Stepfamilies
Family Life Blended: Strengthening Stepfamilies additional resources: http://www.familylife.com/blended
Resources for Marriages
We have a number of titles that are available for loan at our VPC Library which include books and video series. To see a list of the resources, click here.
VPC Library Hours are Sundays, 9am-12pm
Mondays and Thursdays, 10:30am-12:30pm
Ten Great Books—All available at Grapevine Bookstore
- As for Me and My House: Crafting Your Marriage to Last, Walter Wangerin Jr.
- Boundaries in Marriage, Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend
- Covenant Marriage: Building Communication and Intimacy, and The Five Love Languages, Gary Chapman
- The Intimate Mystery: Creating Strength and Beauty in Your Marriage, Dan B. Allender and Tremper Longman III
- The Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of Commitment with the Wisdom of God, Tim Keller (DVD available to borrow)
- The Mystery of Marriage, Mike Mason
- Love & Respect, Emerson Eggerichs
- Rescue Your Love Life: Changing the 8 Dumb Attitudes and Behaviors That Will Sink Your Marriage, Henry Cloud and John Townsend
- Sacred Marriage: What if God Designed Marriage to Make Us Holy More Than to Make Us Happy? Gary Thomas (DVD available)
VPC has a membership with RNM, which is like a Netflix for Christians, offering over 10,000 videos to stream at no cost for our congregation. There are marriage videos by Gary Smalley, Andy Stanley, Matt Chandler, Francis Chan, Drs. Les & Leslie Parrott, and many others! For information about RightNow Media or DVD’s contact Dalliss at email@example.com.
Marriage in Crisis? Don’t Know Where to Turn?
Contact your pastoral staff at VPC: Church phone: 703.938.9050
Pete James: firstname.lastname@example.org
Glenda Simpkins Hoffman: email@example.com
David Jordan-Haas: firstname.lastname@example.org