What we believe about Marriage:
Marriage is a gift from God in which a man and a woman come together as husband and wife to enjoy a new identity, a new unity with one another in a relationship characterized by unconditional love, faithfulness, and permanence. This marriage relationship is meant to be a reflection of God himself whose very triune nature is expressed as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. But marriage is not merely a relationship; a couple is called together to fulfill their God has given mission.
There are no perfect marriages. There are only marriages in which two imperfect people refuse to give up on each other. A willingness to grow and change together will cultivate a deeper marriage relationship.Understanding this, the best thing that a couple can give each other is a transforming relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
Weekend to Remember Marriage Conference
Great Marriages Don’t Just Happen.
Marriage is a lifelong adventure of growing together through every age and stage of life. The happiest couples are those who commit to learning skills that help them weather difficult seasons and deal confidently with relationship challenges.
Find out what over 1.5 million couples worldwide have experienced at FamilyLife’s Weekend to Remember®. It’s your turn to make a great marriage happen. Here’s a testimony from one of the VPC couples:
“We have enjoyed VPC marriage events both for fun and the opportunity to reflect on our most important relationship on earth. And there’s always room to grow. In November, we attended the Family Life Weekend to Remember get away. We loved our well-trained speakers, and the engaging biblical and practical program. Our take-always include: receiving each other as God’s perfect gift; make oneness our goal for marriage; recognizing each other’s different communication style and honoring it; trusting the power of the gospel now when confronted with challenges. We highly recommend to all couples who desire God’s will for their marriage.” Dan and Guowei Wright
(We will post the dates once the 2018/2019 weekends in our area are scheduled)
Couples Small Groups
A great way to have fun and support and encourage your marriage. For more information, contact us at email@example.com.
“Blended and Blessed”
If you are a blended family, this summit may be for you: October 25-26 Summit on Stepfamilies
Family Life Blended: Strengthening Stepfamilies additional resources: http://www.familylife.com/blended
Resources for Marriages
Ten Great Books—All available at Grapevine Bookstore
- As for Me and My House: Crafting Your Marriage to Last, Walter Wangerin Jr.
- Boundaries in Marriage, Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend
- Covenant Marriage: Building Communication and Intimacy, and The Five Love Languages, Gary Chapman
- The Intimate Mystery: Creating Strength and Beauty in Your Marriage, Dan B. Allender and Tremper Longman III
- The Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of Commitment with the Wisdom of God, Tim Keller (DVD available to borrow)
- The Mystery of Marriage, Mike Mason
- Love & Respect, Emerson Eggerichs
- Rescue Your Love Life: Changing the 8 Dumb Attitudes and Behaviors That Will Sink Your Marriage, Henry Cloud and John Townsend
- Sacred Marriage: What if God Designed Marriage to Make Us Holy More Than to Make Us Happy? Gary Thomas (DVD available)
VPC has a membership with RNM, which is like a Netflix for Christians, offering over 10,000 videos to stream at no cost for our congregation. There are marriage videos by Gary Smalley, Andy Stanley, Matt Chandler, Francis Chan, Drs. Les & Leslie Parrott, and many others! For information about RightNow Media or DVD’s contact Dalliss at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Marriage in Crisis? Don’t Know Where to Turn?
Contact your pastoral staff at VPC: Church phone: 703.938.9050
Pete James: email@example.com
Glenda Simpkins Hoffman: firstname.lastname@example.org
David Jordan-Haas: email@example.com